Talk about your work at Pune’s GNUnify open source conference – CFP open
Every year since 2003, Pune has been hosting GNUnify, a major open source conference, organized by the Pune Linux Users Group and SICSR (Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research). It attracts a number of students and professionals, not just from all over India, but also other parts of the world.
It’s a two day program with a number of different tracks: 1-hour presentations on tech topics, 2-3 hour workshops, and “birds of a feather” discussion groups.
They are looking for speakers, and you should submit a talk proposal if you have used open source software work in one of these areas:
- Scientic Computing
- Software Development
- Web Technoligies
- System Programming
- Embedded / Mobile Applications
- System Administration
Why take the effort?
Because, it helps you, and it the community; because more proposals means a higher quality conference. You could choose to do a presentation that is basic, targeted towards beginners and students, to initiate them into the world of open source, or if you have expertise in a specific field or FOSS software package, you can target your presentation to other professionals in the field who would like to learn from your experiences.
Submit a proposal. It takes very little effort right now. All you need to do is submit a one-paragraph abstract of what you’re going to talk about. The conference is on 11th and 12th Feb, in Pune, giving you enough time to prepare.
This PuneTech’s standard exhortation as to why PuneTech readers should submit proposals for such CFPs:
- GNUnify is a good conference.
- If you’re accepted as a speaker, you get travel costs (upto Rs 5000, based on actuals) and accomodation. (All those reading PuneTech from outside Pune, grab this chance to visit the most happening tech community in India.)
- Become famous: being a speaker at a national conference is good for visibility, and all engineers should strive for visibility. It’s very important. Almost as important as being a good programmer. (Maybe more?)
- Help out a good Pune initiative. More submissions will improve the quality of the conference, and having a high quality conference in Pune improves the overall stature of Pune as an emerging IT powerhouse.
- First you have to register with the website at http://gnunify.in/user/register
- After you’ve registered and logged in, then go to the CFP at http://gnunify.in/node/add/cfp
- Fill out form and you’re done.
Didn’t I say it was easy?