Research Institutions in Pune
(This article by Amit was first published on his blog and is being reproduced here with permission.)
Pune is well-known in India and internationally for being a hub of education and research. It has a wide range of academic & research institutions spanning various domains in science, technology, medicine, agriculture, arts, humanities, law, finance, etc. This blog article is an attempt to list out these various institutions. If you find any missing, please add a comment.
Science & Technology
- University of Pune: http://www.unipune.ac.in
One of the top universities in the country, established in 1948.
- College Of Engineering Pune (COEP) http://www.coep.org.in
One of the top engineering colleges in the country. Also, the second oldest engg college in India (Established: 1853).
- National Chemical Laboratory http://www.ncl-india.org/
The top research organization in India that is focused on Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) http://www.araiindia.com/
A collaborative effort between the Government and Industry, focused on testing and validation of various automotive related technologies.
- Bhaskaracharya Pratishthana (Bhaskaracharya Institute of Mathematics) http://www.bprim.org/
Educational and Research Institute in Mathematics
- Inter University Center For Astronomy & Astro-Physics (IUCAA) http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/Home.html
Focused on academics research in astronomy and astro-physics.
- National Center For Radio Astro-Physics ((NCRA – TIFR) http://ncra.tifr.res.in/
A division of TIFR, focused on research in Astro-physics. (Also involved with the GMRT (Giant Meter Wave Radio Telescope) Project near Naranygaon.
- Central Institute Of Road Transport (CIRT) http://www.cirtindia.com
Research on roads and transportation.
- Tata Research Development & Design Center (TRDDC) http://www.tcs-trddc.com Part of the Tata Group – focused on research in various engineering and computer science related areas.
- Computational Research Laboratories (CRL) http://www.crlindia.com/ CRL is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Sons Ltd. The company is into the R&D and business of High Performance Computing (HPC) services and solutions.
- Center For Development In Advanced Computing (CDAC) http://www.cdac.in/
Focused on advanced computing related research. Renowned for developing India’s first supercomputer Param.
- Systems Research Institute (SRI) http://www.sripune.org/
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research IISER http://www.iiserpune.ac.in/
Research and post-graduate academics in Sciences
- Indian Meteorological Department http://www.imd.gov.in/
Weather forecasting and analysis
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology IITM http://www.tropmet.res.in/
Weather forecasting and analysis
- Central Water & Power Research CWPRS http://cwprs.gov.in/
- Agharkar Research Institute http://www.aripune.org/
Bio-sciences, agriculture research
- BAIF Development Research Foundation http://www.baif.org.in/aspx_pages/index.asp
Research in rural sustainable development – agriculture, animal sciences and bio-energy.
- Vasantdada Sugar Institute http://www.vsisugar.com
Sugarcane and sugar research and process development
- Agriculture College http://mpkv.mah.nic.in/PUNECOL.HTM
One of the first Agricultural Research Institutions, established over 100 years ago. Research in various types of crops, cultivation, seeds, etc.
- National Center For Research In Grapes http://nrcgrapes.nic.in/
- Institute of Bio-Informatics & Bio-Technology (IBB) http://www.unipune.ac.in/snc/institute_of_bioinformatics_and_biotechnology/default.htm
Research in advanced bio-informatics and bio-technology.
- BJ Medical College http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._J._Medical_College,_Pune
Academics and research in medicine.
- National Institute of Virology (NIV) http://www.niv.co.in/
Research in virology. WHO Collaborating Center for arboviruses reference and hemorrhagic fever reference and research. National Monitoring Center for Influenza, Japanese encephalitis, Rota , Measles and Hepatitis.
- National AIDS Research Center http://www.nari-icmr.res.in/
Various aspects of research on HIV and AIDS through infra-structural development, capacity building & research programs.
- National Center for Cell Science http://www.nccs.res.in/
- National Center For Research In Onion & Garlic http://nrcog.mah.nic.in/
Arts, Humanities, Management & Law
- University of Pune
- Deccan College http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_College_(Pune)
- Film & Television Institute Of India (FTII) http://www.ftiindia.com
- ILS Law College http://www.ilslaw.edu
One of the top Law Colleges in India
- Gokhale Institute http://www.gipe.ernet.in/
- Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute http://www.bori.ac.in/
- Bharat Itihaas Sanshodhak Mandal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Itihas_Sanshodhak_Mandal
- Max Mueller Bhuvan http://www.goethe.de/ins/in/poo/enindex.htm
- National Institute of Banking Management http://www.nibmindia.org/
- Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration (YASHADA) http://www.yashada.org/
- National Insurance Academy http://www.niapune.com/
International center of excellence in insurance training, education and research
- DRDO (ARDE, ERDL, HEMR, others) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Research_and_Development_Organisation
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) http://afmc.nic.in
- National Defense Academy (NDA) http://www.nda.nic.in/
- Defense Institute Of Armament Technology (Previously: Institute of Armament Technology ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Institute_of_Advanced_Technology
- College of Military Engineering (CME) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Military_Engineering,_Pune,_India
Comments on this article are closed. Please comment at the original article.