A presentation on CRL’s EKA supercomputer will be held next Thursday evening. Considering that it is one of the fastest supercomputer in the world, and considering the qualifications of the speakers (see below), it promises to be an interesting talk.
When: 27th March 2008, 6.30 to 8 pm.
Where: MCCIA, Crossword Building 5th Floor, Hall 4 & 5, Senapati Bapat Road
Price: No entry fee.
CRL’s EKA Supercomputer – Architecture and Applications
Computational Research Laboratories (CRL) has recently designed and built a high performance computer (HPC) system called EKA (Sanskrit word for “one”) which has been rated fourth fastest in the world and fastest in Asia. This rating was announced in the recent Supercomputing 2007 conference held in Reno, Nevada in USA. Of the top ten supercomputers in the world, this is the only computer funded by private sector and is available for usage on commercial terms. CRL is a fully owned subsidiary of Tata Sons Limited. The Tata group has always contributed to scientific research in India and EKA will strengthen this cause with appropriate public-private partnerships.
The senior team from CRL will cover salient aspects of EKA — architecture and applications.
About the Speaker – Dr. Rajendra Lagu
B.Tech, Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay, 1978, M.Tech, Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay 1981, Ph.D., University of Florida, Gainesville, USA, 1985
- Member of Technical Staff, Computational Research Labs, Pune, June 2006-present
- Project Director, Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE), IIT Bombay, June 2000-May 2006
- Adjunct Professor, School of Management, IIT Bombay, June 2000-May 2006
- Group Software Manager, Mastek Limited, January 1995-May 2000
- Assistant Professor, IIT Bombay, June 1986-May 1990
About the Speaker – Dr. Sunil Dattatraya Sherlekar
- B. Tech (Elect. Engg.), I.I.T Bombay, April 1978
- M. Tech (Computer Sc. & Engg.), I.I.T Bombay, July 1982.
- Ph.D., I.I.T. Bombay, Sept . 1987
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd., Graduate Engineer Trainee, June 1978 – Nov 1978.
- CSRE, I.I.T. Bombay, Sr.Research Asst, Dec 1978 – July 1979.
- Computer Centre, I.I.T Bombay, Sep, 1979 – Oct 1982.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., Head, Embedded Systems ( R& D), June 2002 – date.
- Fellowship of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2007
- IEEE Test Technology Committee award for contributions to the Asian activities of the committee.
- UNESCO / ROSTSCA award for young scientists for contribution to the field of Computer Sc. & Informatics, 1989.
About the Speaker – Mr. N. Seetha Rama Krishna
B.E (ECE), 1986, MBA (Dual) Indira Institute, Pune
21+ years handling Complex IT infrastructure & Data Centre solutions to verticals like:
- Space, Defense, Research, Academic
- Energy, Industry, Public Sector, Finance.
- E – Governance (Govt), Medical Informatics.
- Executed several turnkey & consultancy projects in all above mentioned areas.
- Currently working with Computational Research Laboratories Ltd (Wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Sons) from May 07.
- Earlier was working with C – DAC.
Other Upcoming Events: Startup Lunch, OpenCoffee Club and VC Circle.