Moblin is short for ‘mobile Linux‘, is an open source operating system and application stack for Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), netbooks, and nettops. Built around the Intel Atom processor, current builds are designed to minimize boot times and power consumption to create a netbook and MID-centric operating system. The netbook/desktop version of Moblin currently supports other chipsets based on the SSSE3 instruction set, such as the Core2 and some Celeron processors.
On Thursday, 22 October, 10am to 4pm, in Le Meridien, Pune, Intel will hold a free, seminar to help developers understand this platform, the surrounding ecosystem, and also to meet key players in this ecosystem. Basically, any Linux/mobile developer interested in building rich internet and media experiences on mobile devices (phones, handhelds, netbooks, nettops, in-vehicle infotainment and embedded systems) should attend to understand the Moblin ecosystem, and also to meet key players like Novell, Phoenix, Wind River and explore new business opportunities.
In addition, this event will also talk about Intel’s Atom Developer program. Here is the pitch for that program:
The netbook has become a one of the most popular consumer devices in the market today, but its true potential has been limited by applications that are not optimized for its mobility and small screen size. The Intel Atom Developer program helps developers to create innovative new applications for mobile devices using the Atom processor. The program gives developers access to multiple classes of customers, and allows them to target Moblin and Windows based devices using a single toolset. This event will also give an overview of this program, the validation procedure, the APIs and the app marketplace framework.
What: Moblin v2 for Atom roadshow by Intel
When: Thursday, 22 Oct 2009, 10am-4pm
Where: Le Meridien, Pune
Registration and Fees: This is free for all to attend. Register here.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Intel releases Moblin 2.1 OS (infoworld.com)
- Intel To Challenge Android With Moblin For Mobile Devices (linux.slashdot.org)
- Intel ports Linux netbook OS to desktops (infoworld.com)
- Intel: Moblin opens the way for Atom (news.cnet.com)
- What OS is on Your Netbook? (jkontherun.com)
- Intel’s Moblin 2.1 to compete with Windows (news.cnet.com)
- New Linux Moblin netbooks to be announced at IDF (infoworld.com)
- Will Android be Moblin 2.0/3.0? (trendcaller.com)
- Intel Atom dev program launched, seeks to inspire netbook-centric applications (engadget.com)
- Hands-On With Moblin 2.1 OS: The Netbook Linux Anyone Can Master [Moblin] (gizmodo.com)