As a part of their course, students of courses like MCA and MSc CA are required to do a 6-month internship in the industry. Normally, students are expected to find the internships on their own, as a result of which, smaller companies and startups without much visibility lose out on this stream of students.
To fix this we are arranging a “speed-date” for companies to quickly give a very short pitch (3 minutes) about themselves and then meet many students in a short time so that in a single meeting companies can quickly shortlist probable candidates, and conversely candidates can quickly shortlist probable companies for further interviews. This will happen on January 22, 4:30pm at SICSR. If you are interested, send me a mail (email@example.com). Hurry, offer valid until stocks last.
What to expect
- The students can start working for you immediately, and will work for 5 to 6 months – i.e. until mid-June. This is supposed to be a full-time job for the students during this period.
- You would be expected to pay the students a stipend of about 4k/5k per month (or more depending on quality of students and competition). The official line is that they are required to do this to learn something, and not for the money. (It’s a requirement for their degree and they cannot graduate without this experience.)
- You would be expected to give an evaluation of the student’s work to the college
- In one of the previous POCC meetings, I heard someone say that they had a good experience with SICSR student interns. If you or someone else has experience with SICSR interns, please share it here for the benefit of the community. Please share negative experiences also, if you’ve had any.
- Send me (firstname.lastname@example.org) a requirement profile describing the kind of project/work you are willing to offer by Thursday, 15th January. This will be cirtulated amongst the students. Describe your company, and the project/role. Please also indicate whether you are willing to receive some resumes of interested students beforehand.
- On Thursday, 22nd Jan, 4:30pm to 7:30pm, there will be a “speed date” kind of an event, where each one of you will get 3 minutes to pitch your company and/or projects. At the end, you get a table where interested students come and talk to you for a maximum of 5 minutes. In this time, you should get a quick judgement of whether you want call this student for a further interview. The expectation is that at the end of the day, you have a short list of students that you are interested in interviewing, and who are interested in working for you.
- Due to time constraints, the number of slots is limited. So, in case we receive more entries than we can accomodate, we’ll choosed on a first-come-first-served basis.
We are trying to include other colleges with similar programs. I’ll send out updates as more info becomes available.