- Firefox extensions as a business model?
- Mozilla‘s mobile browser Fennec
- JQuery and other such libraries – quick visual demos of what is possible
- HTML5 & XHTML2 and W3C’s WebApps initiative
- The Bespin Web-based IDE – the google docs for code!
- Exciting projects in Mozilla Labs
What to get first-hand information on any of these topics? Seth Bindernagel and Arun Ranganathan, Directors with Mozilla are in Pune this weekend, and we felt that Pune’s web-based businesses and web-developers should get a chance to interact with them to get an idea of the latest developments in the various products that Mozilla is involved in. There will be some presentations, and lots of time for Q&A.
What: Breakfast with Mozilla. Meet Arun Ranganathan, Mozilla Tech Evangelist, and Seth Bindernagel, Director of Localization for Mozilla
When: Sunday, 15 Feb, 9am to 1pm
Where: Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Room 707, 7th Floor, Atur Centre, Model Colony. Map.
Registration and Fees: This event is free for all, but seats are limited. You must register at http://breakfast-with-mozilla.eventbrite.com/ (first-come-first-served).
9am-10am: Breakfast and Conversation
10am-1pm: A freewheeling, roundtable kind of discussion, loosely structured around the following:
- Introductions of Seth and Arun. What we do, what we’d like to accomplish during our short stay in India, etc.
- Introduction to the Mozilla Project (10 – 15 mins.). How we work, tools we use, etc. Brief history + discussion of our open source m.o.
- Localization. *May* be able to demo Fennec, or mobile Firefox.
- Extensions. Do the entrepeneurial community think extensions are a good model? Arun will also demo Personas. Essentially, discuss http://addons.mozilla.org/ and potential future directions.
- Discussion about the Open Web. What do we mean by the Open Web? What tools, libraries, are available? Who supports it? What’s lacking? I’ll give demos of:
- Libraries such as jquery — very brief, visual demonstrations about what can be done with it.
- The Bespin IDE. It’s an open source project that we believe will alter how people think about web development 🙂 Essentially, discuss what web developers have been clamoring for, and what we’re doing to try and address that.
- Discussion of video, and open codecs. Discuss 2D and 3D graphics capabilities that are being introduced into the web platform. Why use technologies like Flash? Why NOT use technologies like Flash?
- What’s coming down the road? What should the platform be capable of? 3.5. Open discussion. What kinds of applications can be created on top of these tools? And, how can entrepreneurs and web developers help craft this direction?